If you want to make a head start in the career progression then you must known how to write a good resume. Whether you are a fresher or an experienced professional, a great resume alone can fetch you the desired job. Employers seek the resumes before calling the candidates for the interviews is itself a proof to you to understand the importance of writing a best resume.
What is resume?
It is the synopsis of educational and employment details of you. By reading a resume, employers can have a quick understanding of what you are and what you can do to the organization if hired. Thus resume is the perfect introducer of you and helps the employers to familiarize themselves with you even before seeing you face to face.
Resume writing is a creative art. No one should ever think that it is a boring, mediocre typist job. The look and feel of the resume can fetch or snatch a great opportunity. That is why you can see a host of professional resume writers are out there having descent earnings.
If you want to create a beautiful resume for yourself these article handholds you in accomplishing this important task. By simply following the tips that are outlined hereunder you would be designing a unique resume that would appeal to your prospective employers.
Tips to design a good resume
Following are the crucial and most important factors that must be borne in mind while writing the resume.
- Use the best fonts that are user friendly in nature and does not disturb or distract the readers. Calibri and Ariel are the standard font faces used by resume experts.
- Font size also matters a lot in the design of a good resume. Different font sizes like 16 for your name and 14 for section headings and 12 for rest of the content are the standard font sizes used by experts.
- Make your name and section headings in bold.
- A complete postal address, working phone numbers and a valid email address can establish an immediate contact with the employers.
- Educational qualifications must be written conspicuously with the year of completion and the scores achieved. Usually degrees earned from prestigious institutions can give you a definite edge over other competitors and hence earn their master of public administration online degrees et al.
- Resume should contain professional experience details in a chronological order with the latest job being on top. Also mention the designations/positions held by you and a short description about roles and responsibilities.
- An account of your objectives, accomplishments, special skills, trainings attended and awards etc. should be mentioned in nutshell.
- Resume should not be written like lengthy essay. The descriptions must be short and sweet and should not bore the readers.
- Finally, write a good cover letter with additional information that you have not incorporated in the resume. Avoid the redundancy of resume information in cover letter.
There are several good resume layouts available online. Choose the one that most appeals to you and then plug-in your details as per the above guidelines. Now, you are ready with a perfect resume that can help you in securing the right job.
Here are some creative resume designs: